Direct Support Professional (DSP)
Direct Support Professionals help people with developmental disabilities lead lives that are more independent and fully participate in their communities. This in-demand career offers a rewarding career with flexible schedules in a wide variety of settings.
As a direct support professional (DSP), you support people in their day-to-day activities. This could include:
- Taking small groups of people into the community to volunteer or enjoy leisure activities
- Supporting a person with daily living skills such as cooking, housekeeping, transportation or other tasks
- Teaching independence skills
- Helping a person identify their talents, interests, goals and abilities
- Connecting someone to opportunities or places in their community to develop relationships with others
- Providing job skills training or on-the-job support
In Warren County, we have more than 500 certified service providers—many are hiring direct support professionals (DSPs) to work in residential, day support or employment settings. You can learn more about local providers, see current job openings and submit your contact information on DSP Ohio, a statewide website aimed at recruiting direct support professionals by connecting job seekers to service providers in each county. Being a DSP can change your life and the life of the people you support.
Click Here to download the State and Federal Employment Laws presentation